Failing the 300kg Deadlift - before I even got there
Failing the 300kg Deadlift - Before I even got there
The goal was always to get to 300kg, and despite the advances in strength, I ultimately failed at 280kg, without giving 300 a real good go.
![]() |
| Deadlifting 220kgx6 in December 2023 |
Context
The goal to pull 300kg really took shape after the strength gains of 2023/24. I managed to take my deadlift from a 1RM of 220kg all the way up to 260kg. The following year (2024–25), I added another 15kg, getting to 275kg. I even managed a 280kg pull in December 2024.
This was achieved by pushing my bodyweight from around 80–82kg all the way up to over 105kg.
![]() |
| 80kg vs 105kg |
How it started
The first big weight gain began in 2023 as I steadily increased my calories and finally broke past 200lbs (July 2023). After that, my weight — and deadlift — exploded.
In a few weeks, the progression looked like this:
-
Early July 2023: First time hitting 220kg in 3 years.
-
Following week: 220kg x 2 reps.
-
Early August 2023: 230kg x 2 (new PR — first time ever above 220kg).
-
Following week: 240kg x 2 PR.
-
Following week: 250kg x 1.
-
September 2023: 260kg x 1.
After that, the gains slowed down a bit — but the foundation was laid for what I thought would be even bigger lifts.
260kg Deadlift - September 2023
Mini-cut and renewed focus
From November 2023 to February 2024, I decided to drop some weight and focus on a mini cut.
My bodyweight went from 106kg down to 90kg — and my deadlift dropped to a 1RM of 240kg.
Prime position to grow.
As I started eating more again, my deadlift quickly came back — this time, progressing faster than my weight.
At around 95kg bodyweight, I matched my old 260kg 1RM — 10kg lighter.
The stage was set.
The gains slowed, but I managed to finally hit 270kg in June 2024 at a bodyweight of around 100kg.
From there though, progress became much harder, and something needed to change.
Powerlifting focus
Being around top lifters — with the best equipment — made a big difference.
I was able to ditch lifting straps and my belt too.
270kg moved again in November 2024, followed by a 275kg pull the next week.
In early December, I finally hit 280kg.
The elation was incredible — but this is when reality started to kick in.
The bulk was catching up to me.
I realised that to make it to 300kg, I would need a proper program — but time was running out.
The excess weight was now impacting other areas of my life.
Frequent gym changes and not sticking to a consistent plan didn't help either — and by January 2025, 280kg wasn’t moving.
How it ended
I never did pull the 300kg — and only pulled 280kg once.
Between deciding to cut (because I was too heavy) and losing focus by changing gyms, the goal slipped away.
Even though I was just 20kg off, I have no real regrets.
It simply wasn’t the right time in my life — but that time will come.
At the time of writing, I’m down to 89kg and cutting hard.
The best part? My deadlift strength has barely dropped.
I'm excited for what’s ahead.
![]() |
| Still Deadlifting - 240x3 April 2025 |
Sometimes you don't achieve what you want — and you fail.
That’s the brutal truth of life.
But if time is on your side, and you get another shot — will you take it?
I certainly will.
Maybe late 2025 or early 2026 will be the time to finally put the 300kg demons to bed.
For now, it's time to get lean, stay healthy — and wait until the Deadlift Gods summon me once more.
Thanks for reading — and keep deadlifting!



Comments
Post a Comment